Baker Donelson recognizes that legal budget predictability and transparency can be accomplished through improved matter management techniques. We are one of the first of only a few firms in the United States to invest in the development of our own Legal Project Management (LPM) system — BakerManage. This industry-leading, patent-pending tool can be implemented in any type of business or litigation engagement.
LPM applies a systematic planning approach to the practice of law in order to clarify client expectations and create reliable engagement budgets. Our dedicated in-house project management team members, who are certified Project Management Professionals (PMPTM) and Lean/Six Sigma certified, were among the first in the country to develop a proprietary LPM system.
This tool offers no-cost, added value through:
- BakerManage workflow process
- Dedicated LPMO office
- Client-wide training for lawyers and paralegals
- Practice Playbooks (including project plans and budgets)
- Improved cost monitoring, legal spend controls, transparency and communication at the matter level, through SharePoint platform
- Client-customized key performance indicator and data tracking for in-house counsel at the portfolio level, through SharePoint platform
The BakerManage system has been identified as a best practice by legal consultants, our clients and in the book The Power of Legal Project Management: A Practical Guide published by the American Bar Association (ABA) in 2014. The process was also incorporated into the ABA’s Legal Project Management Bootcamp program in January 2015.
Case Study #1
- Client: Large manufacturing company with no in-house legal department; main contact is non-attorney chief operating officer.
- External: Client desired a view of aggregate spend on all matters and the ability to view individual matters more in-depth.
- Internal: Several Firm attorneys handle matters for this client, each focused on their particular portfolio of work.
- External: Baker Donelson developed an aggregate report showing high-level spend while maintaining individual matter sites with in-depth reporting.
- Internal: Baker Donelson developed portfolio views to give attorneys easy access to only those matters for which they provide service.
Case Study #2
- Client: Nationwide insurance claims manager with a legal team of seven attorneys.
- Problem: Client needed an efficient and user-friendly mechanism to monitor large volume of similar cases across the nation, as well as a central point of contact to ensure litigation uniformity across country.
- Solution: Baker Donelson developed a system for local counsel to provide case and budget updates through an Action Log, as well as a streamlined approach for searching, collecting, reviewing and producing documents. Portfolio-level dashboard and matter-level dashboards are accessible by client, Firm and local counsel.